What does "Ecela" mean?
ECELA is an acronym for Español y Cultura en LatinoAmerica. We are 100% dedicated to teaching the Spanish language while immersing you in the cultures of Latin America.
Where can I learn Spanish with Ecela?
Our schools are in Argentina, Chile, and Peru. In each country we operate one school in the cultural capital and another in a smaller, yet very alluring, city. You can read about each school and its locations here...
Use this form to check availability at any location above.
Can I study in multiple schools?
Yes. Our course & curriculum are carefully designed so you can easily combine locations for a multi-culture experience.
Use this form to check availability, using your FIRST location.
How much Spanish will I learn?
A good rule of thumb is the equivalent of one college semester in 3 weeks (2 if you choose the personal coach option).
To go from "No Spanish" to "Fluent" takes 20 - 28 weeks.
How much prior Spanish is required?
While some students arrive quite advanced, most start as beginners. Many come with no prior Spanish at all.
How long is a typical program?
The average program is four weeks, though your stay can be as brief as one week or as long as six months.
Every situation is different. Contact us and let us know more about yours.
Is the course “intense”?
You might be overwhelmed at first – new class, new people, new country, etc., but most people adjust quickly and soon find themselves looking forward to class.
When can I begin?
Classes start every week of the year, however you are urged to check availability well in advance. We have several peak seasons when spots are very limited.
You can check availability here.
Am I too old / too young?
While the largest group is recent college grads, the second largest (and fastest growing) is adventurous seniors, many well into their 80s.
Students younger than 17 need a local guardian.
Will I be lonely?
Although some people study as a couple, or in a small group, the vast majority come alone. You will find a very supportive learning community.
What are the different housing options?
Housing through Ecela includes family homestays or shared apartments.
Family homestays include breakfast and dinner and allow you to practice Spanish while also directly experienceing the local culture.
In a shared apartment you have the social benefit of living with other students, but will not get the Spanish practice or cultural exposure.
NOTE: Ecela housing is only available to active students and may not be booked independently.
Am I too old for a homestay?
A "student" is often older than his "host parent".
How much does it cost?
Pricing varies by class and housing option. Prices for the most common programs are listed here.
Why should I choose Ecela over ____ ?
People usually choose us for any combination of...
1) Our Experience We've been teaching Spanish for 15 years and have logged over 125,000 teaching hours.
2) Multi-school option Since our schools share the same dates/curriculum it's easy to schedule a multi-culture program.
3) Extra Conversation We split teaching time into Fundamentals (8 students) and Conversation (4 students) giving you a much greater focus on oral communication than most programs.
4) Better neighborhoods You'll notice we are a little more expensive than some of the other options. One reason is we place our schools in higher rent areas. This is reflected in your program cost, but for most people the tradeoff is OK when considering the safer and cleaner neighborhood.
Why does Ecela cost more/less than ___?
Cost more - If we wanted to charge less we would need to make certain cutbacks - such as relocating to less safe neighborhoods, hiring less talented teachers, or putting more students into the classroom.
Cost less - As a language school we have far less overhead than, for example, a university, so can give as good, and by many accounts better, instruction at a much lower cost.
What is the payment process?
To reserve a spot you must pay a $100 deposit. After that nothing is due until four weeks before your first class.
You can pay everything by credit card.
How do I get started?
Use this form to check availability on a given start date. If we have a spot for you, we'll send you a registration link.
What is the first day like?
Unless you are a complete beginner you'll have a quick placement screening at 8 AM, to make sure we put you in the right section.
We also have a special new student luncheon every Monday. This orientation not only gives you a chance to ask questions, but also is the start of your "instant social life" Ecela is known for.
What are the student demographics?
Ages range from recent high school grads to seniors.
What can I do out of class?
Our activities & excursions calendar includes (optional) get togethers for salsa lessons, cooking classes, museum tours, etc. and weekend day trips such as Argentine estancias, Chilean vineyards, Peruvian archaeological ruins.
To find out what is going on for your planned, dates, just contact us for the calendar.
Is there a guarantee?
Our five-star guarantee promises you an exceptional educational experience every week of your program, or you get TWO extra weeks absolutely free.
1. Your right to change schools If you feel a change of scenery would be beneficial, simply let us know a few days in advance and you can switch - at no extra cost.
2. Significant Spanish improvement You will make substantial advancements in your Spanish each week, by YOUR standards.
3. Thorough course enjoyment You will look forward to class each day and to spending more time with your instructors, your classmates, and the Ecela staff.
4. Comfortable environment Your will find our school facilities comfortable, clean, and inviting – more like a home than a language institute.
5. Friendly treatment by staff As a welcome guest of ours, we don’t consider you just another language student. You will be treated like part of the Ecela family by all of us.
"If you feel that we failed at any of the above, at any time during your program, just let me know and we will give you two extra weeks of classes, to be used at any of our schools, absolutely free – no questions asked.” - Cecilia Quezada
To get started you can check availability here.
How can I learn more?
We recommend contacting us and telling us about your situation. Or you can call +1 347-329-5506